Friday, March 6, 2015

2012 Havens Bourriquot Oakville Napa Valley Red Blend

Happy Friday!  It's been a very long week, but I managed to get most of my work done, get to the gym and now I'm home and definitely ready for a glass of wine!  Tonight I've opened a bottle that I just received in the mail at the office today from my "Cheapskate Marathon" orders from Wines Till Sold Out.  This one is a 2012 Havens Bourriquot, a red blend from Havens Winery in Napa Valley.  I couldn't find the spec sheet on this vintage, but based on the 2009 notes, this is likely a blend of Cabernet Franc and Merlot, which should make for a pleasant glass on a Friday evening!


The wine is a bright ruby in the glass with great clarity, suggesting a weighting toward the Cabernet Franc side.  The nose is is quite complex with some big notes of ripe plum, fig and toasted oak that gives way to some lovely light floral notes of rose and jasmine.  The taste is quite nice with some candied fruit notes up front, plum, cherry and fig that transition to some earthy oak and mineral notes midpalate.  The finish is subtle, with well balanced tannins supporting an exceptionally smooth, long and dry finish.  This is a wine that might surprise you by how quickly and easily the bottle empties!

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 8.5 as it's a very pleasant drinking wine at a price that is a value.  I bought this from Wines Till Sold Out for $17, so I'd have no problem drinking this one everyday!  This wine would be ideal with hearty meat dishes, like braised short ribs or a nicely grilled New York strip, but tonight I'm enjoying it with some baked cod, sweet potato fries and a baby arugula salad with aged balsamic.  The lovely fruit on this wine makes it ideal for dished with more subtle flavors like the cod, but can also stand up to the spicy sweetness of the arugula and balsamic salad.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment