Thursday, February 5, 2015

2012 Pedroncelli Barrel Select Red Wine

One more day until the weekend and I am sure ready to unwind a bit!  Tonight I got home from work at a decent hour, no gym, no cooking, just some time to relax.  So I've opened a bottle of wine I recently bought from Wines Till Sold Out, the 2012 Pedroncelli Barrel Select Red Wine from Sonoma, a blend of Merlot, Zinfandel and Syrah, that should be very approachable on such a casual evening!


The wine is a beautiful deep ruby color in the glass, with great clarity.  The nose is a lovely combination of tart cherry, blackberries and a hint of smoke.  The taste is very fruit forward, with nice flavors of blackberry and cherry cola up front that transitions effortlessly to some mint and fresh herb notes midpalate.  The elegant tannins provide for a very smooth, mellow and very dry finish.  The wine seems to start off with a definite Zinfandel bent, but then finishes like a great Merlot.  A very easy going mid-week wine!

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's a pleasure to drink even so young, and it was a great value at just $13!  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with what else, pizza!  I told you I wasn't cooking tonight, so I've decided to order a thin crust classic pizza with sausage and roasted veggies.  A nice Zinfandel blend like this is really great to pair with pizza, you have the great fruit to balance out the spice of the sauce and sausage, but the dry herb notes are a perfect foil to the roasted veggies.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment