Wednesday, December 24, 2014

2007 Elk Cove Vineyards Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

Merry Christmas!  Yes, I know it's only Christmas Eve, but this is the night when I typically watch a whole bunch of Christmas movies while gorging myself on Chinese food, since it won't leave me too full for the real feast tomorrow!  I just returned from the gym, just to make me feel good about myself before the feast of obesity begins, all the presents are wrapped and I just placed my order at the Jade Garden, so I may as well open a bottle of wine to enjoy this evening, and tonight it's one of my all time favorite Oregon Pinots, the 2007 Elk Cove Vineyards Willamette Valley Pinot Noir.  Now in all the time I lived in Portland, I never got into the Pinot scene like everyone else it seems, but I did find this one that appealed to me, a big bold Cabernet and Bordeaux drinker that wasn't the light, whispy Pinots that you often find in Oregon or Burgundy!


Now I'll admit I had a hard time finding this wine today, I tore the cellar apart, looking in case after case, knowing had to be there somewhere, and alas I found it in a half case of Languedoc!  So here we are, a beautiful deep garnet color in the glass with great clarity.  The nose is just a rush of Oregon Pinot memories, rustic earthy elements of peat, leather, blackberries and fresh herbs.  The taste is a burst of fruit, plums, black cherries and cassis, all of which blend together for some earthy mineral notes of limestone, cedar intermingled with Asian spice midpalate.  The finish is remarkably smooth, without the tannins and dryness that you can get from a Cabernet, this one is just all around pleasant to drink from start to finish!

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a lovely example of the fine Pinots coming from the Willamette Valley, but it's probably reached it's peak for drinking now.  As I mentioned, tonight it's Christmas Eve which means Chinese food, so I'm pairing this with some wonderful Kung Po chicken, steamed dumplings and spring rolls, some of my favorites!  Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment