Sunday, July 6, 2014

2009 DaMa Wines Cowgirl Cab

It's always astounding to me, that even in the face of a three-day weekend how little I get accomplished around the house!  Here I had plans on cleaning, getting everything ready for my barbecue next weekend, and all I managed to do is replant some grass and clean the kitchen, so much for my own productivity miracle.  At least there is always some good wine to enjoy as I grill my last meal of the weekend, and tonight it's the 2009 DaMa Wines Cowgirl Cab, a Cabernet Sauvignon from Washington State.


The wine is a deep ruby in the glass with excellent clarity.  The nose is warm and full of ripe black fruit, blackberries, cassis, and black cherry with hints of smoky black pepper and Asian spice.  The taste is really quite nice, a burst of fruit at the outset that quickly transitions to some earthy notes of green grass and limestone.  The finish is really quite nice, the tannins are somewhat subdued creating a smooth, warm finish that is very dry, perfect for a big beefy dinner!  Speaking of beefy dinner, this was the adorable dog that welcomed me to the DaMa tasting room in Walla Walla when I visited in 2013:


Overall I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, its a very nice Cabernet that is drinking quite well right now, and the price is a super bargain at just $21 from the winery.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled New York Strip (how could you get anymore cowgirl than a rare steak?), some grilled leeks and corn and a baked potato with all the fixin's.  The dryness of the wine really is a perfect foil to some hearty grilled meat and for that I am quite thankful.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment