Sunday, May 18, 2014

2010 Reininger Malbec

Well, it's Sunday evening and after working in the yard all day I figure it's time for a rest.  I don't mind doing yard work, in fact it can be relaxing and when I'm done I get to enjoy my work, sitting out on the deck with a glass of wine enjoying my handiwork:


At least that's the way it worked out today!  And when it was done I opened a bottle of 2010 Reininger Walla Walla Malbec to enjoy. Now I'm not the biggest fan of Malbec, and there are relatively few that I really enjoy, but Reininger makes one that really is enjoyable to this unreformed Bordeaux drinker.


The wine itself is a deep purple color in the glass.  The nose is a rich combination of ripe black fruit, blackberry, currant and a hint of huckleberry overlaid with some nice mineral notes, limestone, forest floor and a hint of leather.  The taste is quite nice, with a rush of fruit, black cherry, blackberry and plum that transitions to some notes of cherry cola and spice midpalate.  The tannins are nicely structured, giving this wine a sturdy mouthfeel and a long, smooth and very dry finish.

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's a great Malbec for those of us that like it a little less earthy and more on the fruity and spicy side.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with the classic Malbec pairing of grilled lamb chops, baked Yukon gold potato and some fresh grilled asparagus.  I really enjoy the way the fruit of this wine counters the somewhat "gamey" aspects of the lamb making for a lovely dinner.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment