Saturday, April 13, 2013

2005 Fattoria Casabianca Chianti Colli Senesi Riserva

Well, I've been out of it for a little while and everyone's getting delusions of grandeur...if you know where that quote comes from then +1 for you as a dedicated Star Wars fan!  But I digress...yes it's been a little bit since my last post, but fear not, I will have at least three posts over the next three days, the last of which is tax day and you know I'll need a bottle of wine to get through that day!  But for tonight, I have a Chianti Colli Senesi, which is a bit different than your traditional Chianti, and one while I really like much better.  So tonight's subject is the 2005 Fattoria Casabianca Chianti Colli Senesi Riserva!


The color is a bit darker than your traditional Chianti, but somewhat lighter than your typical big bold cabs that have been pouring out of California the last decade or so.  The nose is very interesting, with notes of rich, dark fruit, a good bit of licorice and some lovely dried herbs.  The taste was a complete divergence from the nose, as you expect some ripe fruit up front, but instead you are treated to some wonderful tart cherry notes that transitions effortlessly to some lovely dried herbs, leather and anise midpalate.  The finish is quite nice, as the structured tannins support a long, dry finish that seems to last until you're ready to take your next sip!

Overall I would rate this one a solid 8, as it's a great example of the wine, but it's a bit on the pricey side, as I bought this one on sale for $19 (which was a lot better than the $34 original price!).  Tonight I am pairing this with a rather unconventional meal since it's taco night!  I am enjoying it with some traditional tacos, with spicy beef and fresh cilantro, tomatos and jalapenos, drizzled with shredded cheddar and sour cream, wrapped in a warm soft tortilla, oh I love taco night!

No comments:

Post a Comment