Saturday, January 26, 2013

2008 Starmont Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Well, I think I'm finally getting over this cold or some sort of virus, at least I am well enough to drink a little wine again!  So tonight I've opened a bottle of 2008 Starmont Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon to enjoy with dinner.  I think I've had this before, though you never know, and I know I have a few bottles of it in the cellar, so why not enjoy one?


The color is a deep ruby in the glass that gets progressively brighter towards the edges.  The nose is a delightful combination of anise, tobacco, cedar and ripe berries with a bit of sweetness.  The taste is a bit of ripe fruit at first blush that quickly evolves into rich leather and dark chocolate notes midpalate.  The tannins are nicely structured for a rounded, velvety mouthfeel and a wonderfully long, dry finish.  This is the full package for a wonderful wine to sip all through a lazy afternoon, it makes me wish I'd opened this one earlier!

Overall, I would rate this one a solid 8.5, a wonderful Napa Valley Cabernet that I bought for an even more wonderful price of just $18 at wineshopper.com.  Tonight I am enjoying this one with a cajun crusted cod filet, served with some orzo with Parmesan and freshly steamed wax beans (have I mentioned there is a young lady I work with who had no idea what wax beans were?  young people today really frighten me sometimes!).  And yes, I know cod and Cabernet is an unconventional combination, but when have I ever given the impression of conventionality?

No comments:

Post a Comment