Thursday, August 2, 2012

2009 Bolla Sangiovese di Romagna

So tonight I am enjoying a bottle of my latest wine club selection, the 2009 Bolla Sangiovese di Romagna.  Now I chose this one as the August selection since for the most part, Sangiovese tends to be a lighter red wine that can be ideal for the summer months, particularly as hot as this summer has been!


Now Bolla has been a label that I've not had much of, since the label was owned by a large liquor company for a number of years, and they were really focused on quantity rather than quality, and that really showed up in their wines.  A few years ago, new owners took over the Bolla label, and although not a panacea, they have at least paid some attention to the quality of wines in the bottle.

This wine certainly has the lighter style of a typical Sangiovese, with a bright ruby color in the glass.  The nose is a mix of bright red fruit, with hints of leather and floral notes.  The taste is very fruit forward, with tastes of ripe berries transitioning to licorice and notes of fresh herbs and floral notes mid-palate.  The tannins are somewhat mellow, making for a pleasant, dry finish.  I will also note that this wine benefits from some time in the glass, as allowing it to breathe a bit helps the flavors open up quite a bit.

Overall, I would rate this wine a reasonable 6.5, as the quality has improved from the big lot wines I remember from Bolla, but they still have work to do.  However I will give this wine ample credit for value, at a price of only $7, it's certainly worth it!  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with the most traditional of summer fare, an Angus hamburger with sweet potato fries!  Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment