Sunday, July 1, 2018

2014 Justin Isosceles

Ahh, Sunday fun day, but not much for me as I was working in the yard for much of it, trimming some tree branches and working on the roof over my screened in porch.  Of course, with the recent heat we've been having, after working in it I am ready to relax!  So tonight I've opened a bottle of wine that I first tried a few years ago when I was on the Napa Valley Wine Train, and I finally opened one of the bottles I've accumulated since that trip, the 2014 Justin Isosceles.  This wine has been the signature wine for Justin since 1987 and it's made of a blend of three varietals, and for the 2014 vintage it was Cabernet Sauvignon (73%), Cabernet Franc (15%) and Merlot (12%) all from Paso Robles.  So let's see how this one stacks up!


The wine has a wonderful, inky dark center with bright garnet along the edges.  The nose is a classically layered blend of ripe black cherry, black currant and leather with a hint of spice box at the back.  The taste is a rush of cool, ripe fruit up front, that's at first a bit sweet and then tart, which transitions nicely to some notes of vanilla, cedar and graphite midpalate, with a hint of black pepper spice at the end.  The tannins are chewy, giving nice backbone for the long, smooth and very dry finish. 


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's really everything a blend of these three varietals should be, with a big presence and lot's of bold flavor.  Although this wine is a little pricey (I bought this bottle at Costco for about $60), I think it's well worth it for Sunday dinner or any special occasion.  This wine would pair well with a variety of dishes, but it practically begs to be paired with a big ol' steak, so tonight I am enjoying this wine with a big tomahawk ribeye, grilled Pittsburgh rare with some mashed potatoes and haricots verts almondine.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment