Saturday, June 9, 2018

2015 Reininger Walla Walla Malbec

Oh the weekend, so far it's been not incredibly hot, but boy has it been humid!  That said, I've opted against hanging out on the patio tonight (of course we might also be expecting a thunderstorm or two, so instead I'm enjoying the air conditioning and a nice glass of wine.  Tonight I've opened a bottle of my latest wine club shipment from one of my favorite Walla Walla wineries, Reininger!  Chuck Reininger and his team do such a wonderful job with their wines, exploring different varietals and producing exceptional wines that really express the character of the Walla Walla AVA.  So I've opened up a bottle of the 2015 Reininger Walla Walla Malbec, a 100% Malbec from the Pepper Bridge Vineyard, so let's see how this one tastes!


The wines is a deep inky color in the glass, just as you'd expect from a quality Malbec.  The nose is a lovely combination of green grass, vanilla bean, leather and dried herbs, that beckons you to take a sip.  The taste is just a treat, with voluminous black fruit up front, blackberry, plum and currant that just envelop the palate before transitioning to some dusty mineral notes midpalate.  The tannins are velvety smooth, providing the foundation for a wonderfully long, smooth dry finish with a brief reprise of some peppery spice at the end.

Of course you'll recall that I'm not the biggest Malbec fan, but I am a huge fan of this wine!  Chuck really does a fine job with the varietal that could easily make the stoutest Argentine jealous, so I gladly rate this wine a solid 9.  This wine would be perfect with a big steak, roast game, or even barbecue, but tonight I am enjoying this wine with some simple tacos!  The dark fruit and great mineral notes are perfect paired with a bit of spice, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment