Sunday, June 10, 2018

2015 Justin Justification

Happy Sunday!  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of wine from Justin, a producer I've admired since I was introduced to them on the Napa Valley Wine train a few years ago.  I am opening a bottle of 2015 Justin Justification, a wonderful right bank inspired blend of Cabernet Franc (52%) and Merlot (48%) from Paso Robles, just slightly different than the 2014 vintage (which you can read about here).  I picked this one up last week at Costco, so let's see how this wine stacks up!


The wine is a lovely deep ruby color in the glass, just as you'd expect from these two varietals.  The nose is a wonderful combination of rich leather, fig and smoke, the kind of aromas that really get my mouth watering.  The taste is wonderfully old world, with a rush of ripe fruit, blackberry, cherry and currant that transitions nicely to some green grass and dusty limestone midpalate.  The tannins are youthful and a bit sharp, but the finish is long and very dry, with a reprise of tart cherry and Bordeaux like funk at the end.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's just a pleasant drinking wine with a truly old-world style.  This wine would pair very well with steak, ribs, chops or a nice charcuterie plate, but tonight I am enjoying this one with a rare grilled bone-in ribeye with some grilled asparagus and corn on the cob, what a wonderful Sunday dinner!  Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Big fan of Justin wines, especially Justification and Isosceles. The 1997 Isosceles is what got me into wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in publishing your comment, apparently I've been a real slacker throughout the summer!

      Delete