Saturday, May 12, 2018

A Long Weekend in Walla Walla - Part I: The Pre-Party!

Three weeks ago today, I had the pleasure of spending a long weekend in Walla Walla for the Reveal Walla Walla wine auction to help benefit the schools in Walla Walla.  I am so fortunate to be able to spend some time in this fantastic wine region, and occasionally I am able to participate in some wonderful events like Reveal Walla Walla, thanks to my friends in the industry, this time a special thanks goes out to Casey McClellan and Julie Titus from Seven Hills Winery, who were so kind to invite me, I am ever so grateful to them!

The Seven Hills Tasting Room in Walla Walla

I spent a total of three days in town, but since there was a lot of travel involved I'll divide this into three posts, so check for Part II tomorrow and Part III on Monday!  So on with the show!

The Columbia Gorge is one of the most beautiful places on earth!
On this trip rather than flying into Walla Walla I decided to fly Southwest into Portland, mainly because I hate flying out of O'Hare and thankfully Southwest flies from Midway.  But once I arrived in Portland I had a fantastic 4 hour drive through the Columbia Gorge in order to get to Walla Walla.  I actually got off I-84 a bit early and took the scenic route along the river to US 12 before heading into Walla Walla, and although it was a little slower, it was worth it!

This is the Columbia River north of I-84 as you head into Washington.
When I arrived in Walla Walla, just about all the tasting rooms were closed, so I checked into my hotel and had dinner at the Saint and the Sinner (it used to be the Ox and Cart) and they had some wonderful halibut tacos!

Halibut tacos at the Saint & the Sinner, very yummy!

The next day I had the chance to visit a number of tasting rooms including Mark Ryan (I just got a case of wine delivered from them!) and enjoy some lunch at Graze, they do such awesome salads and sandwiches, I highly recommend them!

Had the banh mi sandwich and lemongrass salad at Graze

Then it was off to Pepper Bridge Winery for the winemaker dinner, which was just a wonderful event all around.  It was somewhat dreary weather with some rain showers, but even with gray skies, it's amazing how beautiful Walla Walla is!

The view from Pepper Bridge Winery, even with the clouds it was gorgeous!
We had the chance to meet with many of the wine makers that would be participating in the auction the following day.  Many brought wonderful library selections to taste and it was such fun to talk with the folks that put so much of themselves into the bottles we enjoy every day.

So many wonderful wines to try!
Some of the highlights for me in the reserve tasting were: Doubleback's 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon (just singing at this point!), Dusted Valley's 2008 V.R. Special Cabernet Sauvignon, L'Ecole No. 41's 2007 Perigee (I have a few bottles left of this beautiful blend), Leonetti's 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon, Otis Kenyon's 2008 Merlot (I have one bottle in my cellar!), Pepper Bridge's 2007 Reserve Red Blend, Reininger's 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon, Seven Hills' 2010 Merlot (I think I have a few bottles of this one, so good!) and Sleight of Hand's 2010 Funkadelic Syrah (this was a sure standout for the Syrah fans!).

Dinner amid the tanks!

And of course there was some wonderful food as well, served family style so we all had the chance to talk and get to know one another.

The nicoise salad, baby beets, fingerling potatoes and quail egg, YUM!
And did I mention the food?  So much delicious food and wine, it's a wonder I made it home...eventually!

 Main course was a sous vide prime tri tip, glazed carrots and horseradish potato pave.
The next day would be the big day of course.  As we wake up early (like 9:00) and get to taste the lots of wine that would be the subject of the auction and meet all the wine makers.  Stay tuned for Part II tomorrow and Part III on Monday to see the conclusion of my fabulous weekend in Walla Walla!

No comments:

Post a Comment