Friday, May 11, 2018

2015 Sleight of Hand Cellars "Levitation" Syrah

Happy Friday!  I must admit that things have gotten away from me the past couple weeks.  I've had so much that I planned to get done, including a few blog posts but alas I am a consummate slacker!  So tonight I've decided to open a bottle of Syrah from Sleight of Hand Cellars, one of my new favorite Sytah producers following my introduction to their Psychedelic Syrah last year (see my pose here).  So tonight it's the 2015 "Levitation" Syrah, a 100% Syrah from the Columbia Valley of Washington.  Keep in mind I opened this bottle an hour ago to let it get a bit of air, so let's see how this one stacks up!


The wine is a lovely deep inky purple in the glass with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose is a wonderfully earthy combination of leather, blackberry and a hint of lilac over the top.  The taste is near perfection for the varietal, with a ripe juicy rush of black fruit, blackberry, cherry and cassis that lingers on the palate before easing into some rich mineral, anise and pepper notes midpalate.  The tannins are at first wilting but then stiff, providing the perfect contrast and oomph for the long, smooth and voluptuous dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9.5, as I think it's one of my new favorite Syrah's.  I don't think it's as nice as last year's Psychedelic Syrah, but I think it can give this year's vintage a run for its money!  This wine would be ideal with a broad range of summer dishes, from grilled steaks to barbecue to chicken kabobs, but tonight I am celebrating Cinco de Mayo a week late with some wonderful local chorizo tacos with all the trimmings.  Such a fun wine with food, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment