Saturday, May 19, 2018

2015 Peju Napa Valley Cabernet Franc

Happy Saturday!  I spent the day working around the house, and even though they were calling for rain all day, it was just gray and cool, so I was able to get some stuff done.  And now it's time for a bit of relaxation before dinner, and unsurprisingly, I'm relaxing with a glass of wine.  Tonight it's a bottle that my old boss gave me, the 2015 Peju Napa Valley Cabernet Franc.  Apparently he and his wife aren't fans of Cab Franc, so he gave me a couple bottles, which I thought was very nice of him.  So let's see how this wine tastes!


The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with a dark center.  The nose is classic Cab Franc, with layers of ripe blackberry, black currant and plum over earthy aromas of leather and peat.  The taste is wonderfully fruit forward, with a rush of currant and plum that transitions nicely to some mineral notes of dusty limestone midpalate.  The youthful tannins are still a bit sharp, providing a solid backing for the long, smooth and exceptionally dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, it's a very nice Cabernet Franc that I think will soften a bit with some time in the cellar.  This wine would be ideal with a variety of steaks, chops, roasts and stews and tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled porterhouse with grilled leeks and fresh local asparagus with a big baked potato with butter, sour cream and chives.  The sharp tannins in this wine a perfect for cutting through such a rich meal.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment