Saturday, May 26, 2018

2014 Gilbert Cellars Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Saturday!  I know I missed national wine day, well I guess I was alive yesterday so I didn't actually miss the day, I just didn't have a blog post to celebrate.  Today was one of those Murphy's Law sort of days, so after that, I'm ready for a nice dinner and a nice glass of wine, and tonight I've opened a bottle of wine from the Columbia Valley, a little west of where I normally imbibe, this being a wine from Yakima!  The 2014 Gilbert Cellars Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, I found at the House of Pure Vin in Detroit (the folks there were wonderful and they had a surprisingly robust selection of Washington wines.  So, back to the wine, let's see how this one tastes!


This was one of those wines where just opening it you get a solid whiff of something delicious and you can sense right away that this is going to be good.  The nose is a wonderful combination of leather, black cherry, cassis, layered with some light floral notes.  The taste was a rush of ripe fruit that was bright at first, but left me somewhat flat in the end.  Midpalate, there are some lingering fruit notes intermingled with earthy elements of peat and dusty limestone.  The tannins are somewhat robust, bringing you back a bit for the long, smooth and very dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, it was a good cabernet, but honestly I thought there was going to be a bit more to this.  Still, it would be a very good steak wine, and tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled prime ribcap topped with a fried egg and sriracha (because I said so!), with grilled leeks and asparagus.  And of course, after dinner, I'll be sure to enjoy another glass on the patio, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment