Saturday, May 5, 2018

2006 DaMa Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Cinco de Mayo!  Happy Cellar Saturday!  What a crazy day, as I bought a new Jeep about a week ago, and today I decided to clean out the garage to see if I could fit my old truck and the new Jeep, and alas success!  It involved tossing a bunch of stuff and making a trip to the Goodwill donation center, but by this afternoon I had both vehicles and everything else in the garage...snug but they all fit.  Then I decided to do the spring yard clean up, picking up big branches and raking the grass to get all the little branches...well I finished the front yard, but now I'm about to collapse, so I'll get to the back yard tomorrow.  But now it's time for a nice glass of wine!  And since it's the first Saturday of the month, it's time to raid the cellar for something harvested at least a decade ago.  I have to admit I didn't have to look far, as the DaMa wine club shipment from last week included a library selection, and in my case it was the 2006 DaMa Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon!


The wine is a lovely deep purple color in the glass.  The nose exudes wonderful Washington Cabernet fruit, with rich blackberry and cassis intermingled with the classic earthy funk that dares you to take a sip.  The taste is remarkably vibrant and fruit forward, with a rush of black cherry, blueberry and blackberry that smoothly transitions to some wonderful warm pepper spice notes midpalate.  The round tannins are the perfect set up for the long, voluptuous dry finish. 


This wine brilliantly shows the aging potential for Washington Cabernet and I can't help but rate this one a solid 9.  This wine would pair well with a variety of steaks, beef Wellington, prime rib or even barbecued ribs, but tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled prime Chipotle seasoned New York strip (it is Cinco de Mayo after all!) with a baked potato with sour cream and chives and some roasted purple carrots.  What a way to begin relaxing after a hard day of work, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment