Wednesday, April 11, 2018

2015 L'Ecole No. 41 Walla Walla Valley Merlot Cabernet Franc

Happy Wine Wednesday!  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle that I've been anticipating for a while, and since I just got my spring wine club shipment from L'Ecole I can try it!  The 2015 L'Ecole No. 41 Walla Walla Vallet Merlot Cabernet Franc, a blend of Merlot (50%) and Cabernet Franc (50%) from the Seven Hills and Ferguson Vineyards.  I've heard such good things about the right bank style blend, so let's give it a try!


The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, just as you'd expect from these two varietals.  The nose is a symphony of earthy mineral notes, dusty basalt, leather and graphite (hat tip to the Ferguson Vineyard) over subdued black fruit notes with a bit of black pepper spice at the end.  The taste is just divine, particularly if you're a Merlot fan like I am, a rush of black cherry and currant give way to some black pepper spice and course mineral notes midpalate.  The finish is young, but about as solid as you could expect, with lush tannins supporting the long, smooth and velvety dry finish that lingers on.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's a fabulous expression of the varietals and the terroir of these two powerhouse vineyards.  This was highly anticipated, but it's still an incredible value for just $36 retail!  This wine would pair well with a variety of hearty dishes, from roast beef to braised short ribs to wild salmon, but it practically begs to be paired with a steak.  So tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled filet mignon, baked potato with all the fixin's and some grilled leeks and Brussels sprouts.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment