Thursday, April 5, 2018

2012 Reininger Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

Well, it's been a very busy day, so what better way to end it than with a nice glass of wine?  Tonight I've opened a bottle from one of my favorite Walla Walla producers, the 2012 Reininger Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon.  This wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (96%) and Petit Verdot (4%) from the Pepper Bridge and Seven Hills Vineyards in the Walla Walla Valley.  I've had this wine in the cellar for a few years, so I thought it was time to give it a try!


The wine is a deep, inky purple at the center, with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose is a glorious cascade of delightful floral notes of violets and roses, overlaying some rich black fruit, cherries, blackberries and currant.  The taste reminds me of what I love about Chuck Reininger's work, wonderful expression of terroir with wonderful stark minerality coursing over lovely vibrant fruit notes, with fine grain tannins supporting the long, smooth, voluptuous finish that seems to last a minute or more.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as you'd be hard pressed to find a better, more expressive Cabernet for the price.  This wine would be ideal with a variety of hearty dishes from steaks to braised short ribs to classic Italian sausage with onions and peppers.  But tonight I am going classic meat and potatoes, enjoying this wine with a rare grilled Kansas City style bone-in strip steak, with grilled leeks and rainbow carrots, along with some mashed potatoes and gravy.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment