Saturday, March 3, 2018

2006 L'Ecole No. 41 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Cellar Saturday!  It's the first Saturday of the month, that magical day when I raid the cellar for something at least a decade old to enjoy.  Well tonight it was literally a bottle I stumbled upon in the cellar, as several weeks ago I was looking for a bottle of French wine and happened upon this bottle misplaced in the section where all the Bordeaux are sitting, the 2006 L'Ecole No. 41 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon, so given that this is the first weekend of Washington Wine Month, it seems like an appropriate choice.  So let's see how this one has matured since I got it about 10 years ago!


Now keep in mind, I decanted this wine for about an hour before tasting.  The wine is a lovely color in the glass, with deep, inky purple at the center, garnet along the edges with just a hint of brown.  The nose is such a smack in the head, as it instantly brings back memories of tasting this wine when it was new, wonderfully earthy notes of leather, grass and peat over some start minerality, but then layered on that is some clear signs of maturity, roast meat, olive tapenade and rich herb notes.  How amazing that I feel like I'm done and I haven't even had a sip yet!  The taste is nothing like the aromas, you're greeted with a rush of ripe black fruit, cherry, plum and currant that transitions effortlessly to some earthy spice notes and olive midpalate.  The tannins are mature and well balanced, providing for an exceptionally smooth, voluptuous dry finish.

I was expecting this wine to be a nice cabernet, but man this was just a sensory experience that bordered on overload!  Overall, I'd rate this wine a solid 9.5 easy, as it's just a phenomenal Cabernet, and it wasn't even the top of the line wine from L'Ecole back in 2006!  This wine would pair exceptionally well with steak, wild game, roasts, or as I'm enjoying tonight, some wonderful Italian dishes!  I'm enjoying this wine with some pasta I picked up at Eataly a few weeks ago, topped with some Italian sausage marinara, but who am I kidding, I'll be enjoying this wine for the rest of the evening, long after dinner is through!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment