Monday, February 12, 2018

2016 Gnarly Head Sauvignon Blanc

Happy Monday!  I have to admit, my wine tonight is somewhat of an accident, as I bought this bottle mainly to use in cooking some mussels in white wine over the weekend (you know I'm unlikely to buy a white wine just for drinking!) so I looked at Costco for the cheapest dry white wine I could find and settled on the 2016 Gnarly Head Sauvignon Blanc.  Now it's Monday and I'm cooking a completely different kind of seafood, so why not finish the bottle?


The wine is a very light golden color in the glass, classic for a Sauvignon Blanc.  The nose is cascade of citrus and tropical notes, grapefruit, passion fruit and just a hint of pineapple.  The taste is quite crisp, with a gradual buildup of fruit that starts with some citron, moves to some notes of melon and then reaches an apex of tart apple over some hints of minerality in the background.  The finish is crisp and refreshing and quite dry, a really ideal white wine for a dry red wine lover like me!


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7, as it's a very refreshing Sauvignon Blanc that would be quite versatile with food, and it was a terrific bargain at just $6 at my local Costco!  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with some sea scallops seared in wasabi oil along with some steamed white rice and sugar snap peas.  The tart citrus aspects of this wine are a wonderful counter to the richness of the scallops.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment