Sunday, February 18, 2018

2013 Angel's Landing Napa Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Sunday!  I've had my usual Sunday afternoon of grocery shopping and laundry, so now it's time to have a bit of relaxation for the evening.  And for that I'm opening a bottle I stumbled upon in the cellar last week, the 2013 Angel's Landing Napa Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon.  I can't recall where I got this bottle, but I figured with a decent vintage and a Napa Cabernet, it's likely to pair well with Sunday dinner, so let's see what it has to offer!


The wine is a deep inky color, with bright ruby along the edges, just as you'd expect for a Cabernet.  The nose is chock full of blackberry, prune and currant with earthy undertones of leather and green grass.  The taste is quite fruit forward, with a rush of blueberry and black raspberry that transitions nicely to some earthy mineral notes midpalate.  The tannins are quite firm, adding some sharpness to the long and exceptionally dry finish that seems to last a minute or more.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's a really nice Napa Cabernet, but the finish could be smoother in my view.  This wine is practically begging to be paired with a nice steak, and tonight is its lucky night, as I'm enjoying this wine with a rare grilled prime New York Strip along with grilled asparagus and a baked potato with sour cream and scallions.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment