Wednesday, December 20, 2017

2012 Reininger Walla Walla Valley Merlot

Happy Wine Wednesday!  I had a rather busy day today, so it will be nice to relax with a nice glass of wine.  Tonight I've decided to open a nice bottle of Merlot from one of my favorite Walla Walla producers, the 2012 Reininger Walla Walla Valley Merlot.  This wine is a blend of Merlot (91%), Cabernet Sauvignon (7%) and Cabernet Franc (2%) all sourced from the Pepper Bridge and Seven Hills vineyards in the Walla Walla AVA.  So let's see how this one tastes!


The wine is a deep ruby in the glass, with aromas of black cherry, currant, black pepper over some subtle earthy notes (when I first opened the wine there was a pronounced note of olive, but that subsided with some air).  The taste is somewhat more elevated than a typical Merlot, with some nice fruit up front, particularly black cherry and currant intermingled with a bit of plum that moves smoothly to some spice and earthy notes or tar and graphite midpalate.  The tannins are silky smooth, ushering in a long, smooth and voluptuous dry finish that lingers on the palate.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, it's one of the nicest Merlots I've had in a while, and I thought it was a step up from the 2010 vintage (see here) or the 2011 vintage (see here), both of which were somewhat cooler if I recall correctly.  This wine would pair well with a variety of hard cheeses, hearty winter stews and roasts, and of course steak.  Tonight I'm enjoying this wine with a rare grilled prime sirloin over grilled leeks, with some charred cauliflower and a baked potato with sour cream and chives.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment