Saturday, December 2, 2017

2007 Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Well, I've been somewhat of a slacker for the past couple months, but I finally remembered to Cellar Saturday, that magical first Saturday of the month where I raid the cellar for something interesting to open.  Tonight I've decided to open a nice one, a bottle of 2007 Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, so let's see how this one stacks up!


The wine has the deep coloration you'd expect from a nice Cabernet.  The nose is an interesting combination of black fruit and earthy notes, blackberry, plum and prune interlaced with tar, peat and tobacco.  The taste is a rush of bright cherry fruit that envelopes the palate while easily transitioning to some warm spice notes midpalate.  The finish has a note of sweet cherry, as the well structured tannins still provide the backbone for the long, smooth and velvety dry finish that seems to last a minute or more.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, it's a really nice Cabernet and I'm glad I let it develop for the past decade as it was well worth it.  This is also a classic, "big" California Cabernet, so it's practically begging to be paired with a nice steak and tonight is its lucky day!  I'm enjoying this wine with a rare grilled filet mignon along with butter braised Yukon gold potatoes and steamed broccoli.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment