Wednesday, October 18, 2017

2015 Mark Ryan "Little Sister" Columbia Valley Merlot

Happy Wine Wednesday!  Tonight I have multiple special treats from what I'm drinking to what I'm eating, but let's start with the important business of what I'm drinking, after all, this is a wine blog!  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle that came with a recent wine club shipment from Mark Ryan Winery, the 2015 "Little Sister" Columbia Valley Merlot, a blend of Merlot (97%) with just a touch of Cabernet Franc (3%) to mellow things out.  You know how I love me some Merlot, so let's check out the Little Sister!


The wine is a deep, inky purple with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose is an intriguing blend of leather, tart cherry, cardamom and baking spice.  The taste is classic, old school Merlot with a rush of ripe fruit up front, cherry, currant and plum, that transitions to some interesting notes of buttered popcorn jelly belly midpalate.  The finish is smooth, with young tannins providing a bit of punch to the long, smooth and dry finish.  This wine is such a pleasure to drink!


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's one of the nicest Merlots I've had in quite some time.  Although I'm happy as a clam just sipping this wine, it would be ideal with a variety of dishes, from lobster bisque, to steak, to hearty pasta.  Tonight I'm enjoying this wine with a 28-day dry aged Prime New York strip, with grilled asparagus and a baked potato.  The sweet to dry fruit of this wine is ideal for a hearty steak, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment