Sunday, October 15, 2017

2015 Board Track Racer "The Chief"

Happy Sunday!  It's been a light weekend for blog posts as I was in Chicago on Friday visiting the Art Institute and didn't get back until late, and last night I had a wedding to attend, so that leaves just tonight.  But at least I have a nice bottle of wine to open, the 2015 Board Track Racer "The Chief" a second label of Mark Ryan Winery out of Washington.  This wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (85%), Malbec (11%) and Petit Verdot (4%) from the Columbia Valley of Washington, so let's see how she tastes!


The wine is a deep purple color, classic for a Cabernet.  The nose is a lovely combination of oak, overlaying some lovely black fruit, blackberry, cherry and plum with hints of mint and graphite over the top.  The taste is just wonderful, with a rush of black cherry up front that transitions effortlessly to some lovely mineral notes midpalate, only to treat you to a further evolution to dark chocolate and tobacco on the finish.  The tannins are young, but very smooth, leading to a lovely long, velvety and very dry finish.

A little Grant Wood painting I saw on Friday that prevented me from posting!

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's just a lovely Cabernet and a great value, as I ordered this from the tasting room in Walla Walla back in August and I'm sure it was under $30.  This wine would be great with steaks, lamb or hearty Italian dishes, but tonight I am enjoying this wine with a Thai Chili rubbed Tagliata steak, with grilled leeks and asparagus and a big baked potato with sour cream and chives.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment