Sunday, October 29, 2017

2014 Helix Cabernet Franc

Happy Sunday!  I've spent the afternoon raking and blowing leaves and trying to get my leaf vac to run, but without luck today (more on that in another installment of "I'm not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV").  At least the day is done and it's time for some dinner and a glass of wine.  Tonight I've decided to open another bottle of the recent wine club shipment from Reininger, the 2014 Helix Cabernet Franc from the Weinbau Vineyard in the Wahluke Slope in the Columbia Valley of Washington.  Unfortunately I lost my tech sheet on this wine, but I'm confident that it's mainly Cabernet Franc, with a bit of Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon to bring some added complexity, so let's see how it tastes!


The wine is a deep ruby in the glass, somewhat lighter in color than a Merlot.  The nose a fabulous array of aromas, from candied plums to fresh herbs to hints of violet.  The taste is a rush of black cherry, raspberry and plum that transitions nicely to some notes of cocoa and green herbs midpalate.  The tannins are a bit tightly wound, providing a bit of a snap on the finish, which is long and extraordinarily dry, with just a hint of funk at the very end.  This is a wine that reminds me of some of the best right bank Bordeaux, with lovely fruit, earthy undertones and a great finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's only the third vintage since 1997 and this one has the potential to develop nicely over time.  This wine would pair well with a wide array of dishes, from lamb to grilled pork tenderloin, but tonight I am enjoying this wine with a alder planked wild Alaskan salmon filet over a bed of baby arugula and topped with fresh pineapple jalapeno salsa with some steamed asparagus.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment