Wednesday, October 4, 2017

2013 Cadaretta Springboard Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Wine Wednesday!  Tonight I've decided to have a special treat, since it's been somewhat cloudy and rainy all day, I figured I should open a nice bottle of wine to make up for the dreary weather.  So I've opened a bottle that I brought back from my vacation to Walla Walla in August, the 2013 Cadaretta Springboard Cabernet Sauvignon, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (71%), Malbec (23%), Petit Verdot (5%) and Merlot (1%) from the Columbia Valley of Washington.  I tasted this wine at the Cadaretta tasting room in Walla Walla and I liked it, so now I have a chance to share it with you.


The wine is a classic looking Cabernet in the glass, deep inky purple with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose presents aromas of leather, cassis and white pepper spice, a tribute to the heavy blend of Malbec.  The taste is a rush of black cherry and blueberry that transitions to some lovely mineral notes of dusty limestone, white pepper and hints of vanilla bean midpalate.  The finish is warm and voluptuous as the beautifully integrated tannins provide the necessary backbone for the long, dry and seamless finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, it's a wonderful example of the great quality of Washington varietals and how an inspired blending can further elevate a wine.  With the heavy Malbec presence in the blend, this is a perfect big steak wine, which is a good thing, since tonight I am enjoying this wine with a big Angus porterhouse grilled rare with some grilled asparagus.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment