Tuesday, September 12, 2017

2015 Intrinsic Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Taco Tuesday!  Tonight I've decided to open a new bottle of Washington Cabernet that I picked up at the local Costco, the 2015 Intrinsic Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, which is a second label from Columbia Crest.  From what I've read, the winemaker has been experimenting with some extended maceration on these particular wines, resulting in a remarkably different flavor profile and finish than Columbia Crest's traditional Cabernet.  So let's see how this one stacks up!


The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, with nice clarity.  The nose presents aromas of black fruit, vanilla bean and cassis.  The taste is a somewhat subdued expression of fruit up front, with a bit of black cherry and some earthy mineral notes.  The fruit seems to linger as the somewhat youthful tannins pick of the pace, resulting in a long and very dry finish that's quite a departure from the warm finish that I usually associate with the parent label.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's different than many Columbia Valley Cabernets, but in a pleasant and approachable way.  It was also a solid value as I recall this one was under $20 at Costco.  I am enjoying this wine tonight with tacos of course, tonight it's carne asada steak tacos, with all the trimmings, as the fruit and dry finish of this wine really accentuates the rich spiciness of my dinner.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment