Sunday, September 3, 2017

2014 Doubleback Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Sunday!  I just came back from Niles, Michigan where I loaded up my pickup with watermelons to hand out to folks at the Labor Day Parade tomorrow, this is what happens when they ask for volunteers at church and you say yes!  In any case, now I need to have me some wonderful Sunday dinner, and I've got a good one on deck tonight!  And of course I need a good wine to go with it, and tonight it's a special one, the 2014 Doubleback Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon, a product from Drew Bledsoe's retirement project when he moved back to his roots in Walla Walla.  So let's see how this one is tasting!


The wine is a deep, inky color at the center, with nice bright garnet along the edges.  The nose is a rich combination of blackberry, currant, oak and a bit of kirsch.  The taste is a velvelty burst of ripe black fruit, plum, blackberry and cherry that envelops your mouth as the flavors transition to some wonderful earthy, mineral notes of dusty limestone overlaid with mocha and dark chocolate midpalate.  The tannins are still youthful, leading to a bit of acidity on the long, smooth and very dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, it's a super effort from Doubleback and although this wine is drinking well now, but I can imagine it's going to improve a lot by the early 2020s!  This wine would pair beautifully with braised short ribs, or a big steak, which of course is lucky that I went to Costco yesterday and they had a case full of prime cowboy cut ribeyes!  So I'm enjoying this wine with a rare grilled cowboy cut ribeye, grilled leeks and broccoli rabe and a big old baked potato.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment