Saturday, September 2, 2017

2002 Kelham Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Cellar Saturday!  The first Saturday of the month, when I raid the cellar and find a bottle that's at least a decade old to open just for fun.  Today I've decided to open a bottle that's only been in my cellar for a few weeks, the 2002 Kelham Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon from the Oakville region of Napa Valley.  I've let this one decant for about an hour now, so let's see what this wine has to offer!


The wine is a deep, inky black at the center with a bright ruby along the edges.  The nose presents aromas of blackberry, currant, cured meat and a bit of earth, very intriguing!  The taste is a rush of ripe berries, blackberry, currant and rapsberry that transitions nicely to some notes of mocha and dark chocolate midpalate.  The finish is quite interesting, as the tannins are smooth and well integrated, but you are revisited with a rush of acidity on the finish that brings notes of tart cherry at the end, which is certainly unexpected.

Overall, I would rate this a solid 8.5, it's a very nice Cabernet, but it certainly didn't knock my socks off.  This is a big, board-to-the-face sort of Napa Cabernet, so it would work well with a big grilled steak, or as I'm having tonight some steak fajitas!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment