Saturday, May 13, 2017

2012 Freemark Abbey Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Holy Moly!  I just came inside and realized it was 6:30 and I've just spend 7 hours working out in the yard!  At least I accomplished quite a bit: I planted 8 flats of impatiens, pulled up a forest of maple sapling that had sprouted this spring, mowed the lawn and helped a friend take one of my 7 ginko saplings that I've been trying to find homes for.


 And although I know my back is going to remind me of all this work tomorrow, tonight it's time to relax with a nice glass of wine.  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of 2012 Freemark Abbey Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon that I picked up at Costco a few weeks ago.  I've reviewed the 2009 vintage (you can see here) and the 2010 vintage (you can see here), so let's see how this one stacks up!


The wine is an inky black color with just a hint of garnet along the edges, just what you'd expect from a big Napa Cabernet from a stellar vintage.  The nose is layered with leather, blackberry and oak that just dares you to take a sip.  The taste is just lovely, with a rush of blackberry and currant that gives way to cherry cola and dark chocolate.  The finish is classic Napa Cabernet, but somewhat softer than the many overpowering Cabernets coming out of Napa today.  This one has some well structured and integrated tannins that provide nice balance for the long, smooth and voluptuous finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, it's just a classic Napa Valley Cabernet from a terrific vintage and for $32 at Costco, this wine was worth every penny.  This wine would pair well with a variety of bold flavors, from steak to roast lamb to braised short ribs, but tonight I'm going with the tried and true, a rare grilled bone in ribeye with roasted Brussels sprouts and some linguine tossed in garlic and olive oil.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment