Saturday, October 29, 2016

2013 L'Ecole No. 41 Walla Walla Merlot

Ok, tonight I fully admit I am about to pass out!  I started this morning stacking logs from the trees I had trimmed yesterday, then my neighbor was kind enough to let me try out his lawn vacuum for leaves (I'm getting one!) and the rest of the afternoon was spent raking and piling up leaves, so now I am so tired and sore it wouldn't surprise me if I was asleep by 9:00!  But before that happens, I've decided to open up a nice bottle of wine to celebrate the tail end of Merlot Month, the 2013 L'Ecole No. 41 Walla Walla Merlot, a blend of Merlot from the Seven Hills and Ferguson Vineyards.  So let's see how awesome this wine is!


The wine is a lovely garnet color in the glass.   The nose presents aromas of blackberry, cherry and leather, with a good bit of minerality.  The taste is just lovely, with a lovely combination of ripe red fruit up front, cherry, currant and raspberry that transition effortlessly to wonderful earthy notes of cedar, earth and dark chocolate midpalate.  The finish is divine, with the mineral complexity so prevalent with the Ferguson vineyard shining through as you savor the long, smooth and exceptionally dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, I am a big fan of Merlot, and this one really sings despite its youth.  This is a great fall wine that would pair with a variety of hearty dishes, from stews, to heart chili to roast beef or lamb.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled prime filet mignon, with a baked potato and grilled rainbow carrots.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment