Saturday, September 17, 2016

2013 Farmers of Wine Italian Red Blend

So today was interesting for a variety of reasons.  I went to Illinois this morning to visit with my uncle who is undergoing rehab for a stroke, then I went to his house to pick up a few things for him and take some photos of his old pickup truck that I am contemplating restoring.  By the time I was ready to come home, I stopped at a beer and wine store in Beecher, Illinois called "Tubby's" how could I resist a name like that?  They had a decent selection of wine for a town of 4,200 residents, but one bottle caught my eye, the 2013 Farmers of Wine Italian Red Blend.  Now I'm a sucker for interesting packaging and since this was a farm town and the wine was presented as though it was in a burlap feed sack, I had to buy a bottle!  It was only $10, so let's see what it has to offer!


The wine is a nice ruby color in the glass with great clarity, similar to a lot of Tuscan blends.  The nose presents aromas of cedar, black fruit, anise and graphite.  The taste is very nice, with a rush of ripe black fruit up front that transitions to some wonderful mineral notes and peppery spice midpalate.  The finish is exceptional, with firm tannins at the base and a hint of sweet fruit for the long, voluptuous dry finish that seems to last a minute or more.  As I reviewed their website (http://www.farmersofwine.com/) I learned that this wine is a blend of Primitivo and Negroamaro from Puglia, which all makes sense now!

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's a pleasant drinking wine and a great value.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled Hereford New York Strip, with some steamed broccoli and a baked potato.  This would be great with a variety of Italian dishes as well, or just sipping on the patio which I intend to do later.  Salut!

No comments:

Post a Comment