Monday, September 5, 2016

2001 Resalte de Penafiel Gran Resalte Ribera del Duero

OK, I know I've been a total slacker lately, but the end of August was a big travel week for me at work, and Saturday I was driving to Chicago so I totally missed Cellar Saturday, but I'm making up for it tonight with a delayed Cellar Saturday, and for this one I have a special treat, something I rarely have a chance to enjoy, a mature Spanish wine!  In this case the 2001 Realte de Penafiel Gran Resalte Ribera del Duero, a 100% Tempranillo that was aged for 32 months in new French oak, and now I'm tasting it today!


The wine is rich ruby color in the glass with great clarity.  The nose presents pleasant aromas of blackberry, ripe plum, leather and tobacco.  The taste is simply breathtaking, a building crescendo of black fruit at the outset, blackberry, plum and cherry that transitions effortlessly to some meaty notes of mocha and dark chocolate midpalate.  The finish is punctuated by smoke, dried herbs and a subtle pepper spice even as the subdued tannins support the long, supple and very dry finish.  This wine is truly a pleasure to sip!

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as I can't recall the last time I've opened a wine and enjoyed it this much.  I bought this one from Wines Till Sold Out, and although it was a bargain it was not inexpensive at $48.  Tonight I am pulling the classic move of pairing an expensive and wonderful wine with a cheap date of a dinner, after all it is Labor Day and what else could I eat but classic barbecue baby back ribs with some baked beans, mustard potato salad and Asian slaw?  The fruit and spice of this wine just pair beautifully with barbecue.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment