Wednesday, August 10, 2016

2013 Gravel Bar Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Hump Day!  I have to admit since I'm on staycation this week, I hardly noticed hump day at all.  But at the very least I've decided to open a nice bottle of wine to celebrate the middle of the week and tonight it's the 2013 Gravel Bar Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (91%) and Malbec (9%) primarily from the Wahluke Slope in the Columbia Valley.  So let's see what this wine has to offer!


The wine is a deep, inky black color at the center, with bright ruby along the edges, just as you would expect from a nice Cabernet.  The nose presents aromas of blackberry, currant, leather and some mineral notes of graphite and limestone.  The taste is quite nice, with a rush of ripe black fruit up front, that transitions nicely to some notes of mocha, dark chocolate and cassis midpalate.  The tannins are smooth and well integrated for a long, smooth dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's a very nicely drinking wine right now, and it was a terrific bargain as I found this at my local wine store for just $16!  This wine would pair nicely with some hearty grilled steaks, braised short ribs or rustic Italian dishes.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled farm to table sirloin steak that came from one of the cows at the recent Elkhart County 4-H Fair, some garlic mashed potatoes and steamed Brussels sprouts.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment