Sunday, July 10, 2016

2013 Forgeron Facon Rouge

Happy Sunday!  I'll admit it, I've been way too busy lately, with what seems to be a constant parade of work and family obligations that I've been neglecting my blog.  Well, I can't say that's all about to change, since this month is going to continue to be the busiest of the year, but I'll at least try to post a little more!  Tonight I have a lovely wine I've been waiting to try from the wine club at Forgeron Cellers, the 2013 Facon Rouge, a GSM blend of Grenache (25%), Syrah (48%) and Mourvedre (27%) from the Boushey Vineyard in the Yakima Valley (Maison Bleue makes some fine wines from this vineyard too!).  So let's see what this one has to offer.


The wine is a deep inky color at the center, with bright ruby along the edges, belying the heavy hand of Syrah in the blend.  The nose presents aromas of blackberry, leather and smoke.  The taste is a blast of fruit, with blueberries and blackberries that transition to some lovely black pepper spice notes and a bit of smoky oak and mineral notes midpalate.  There is a reprise of fruit at the finish, with some blackberry jam amid the firm, integrated tannins that support the long, velvety and smooth dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, it's a new favorite of the southern Rhone style blends inspired by the Gigondas.  This wine would be ideal for a variety of spicy Mediterranean dishes, or some more adventurous Moroccan spice dishes, but tonight I am enjoying this wine with some red curry chicken and vegetables over basmati rice.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment