Tuesday, May 3, 2016

2013 Seven Hills Klipsun Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Tuesday, or election day here in Indiana.  I did my civic duty and voted early this morning, though I have no idea who finally came out on top, though I suppose it really matters little in the grand scheme of things.  More importantly, I cut the grass when I got home from work (have I mentioned that dandelions are the bane of my existence?) and now it's time for a nice glass of wine with dinner.  Tonight it's a special treat as I've opened a bottle of 2013 Seven Hills Klipsun Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon from the Red Mountain AVA.  This one's a bit young, but I doubt I'll be disappointed!


The wine is an inky black color in the glass, with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose presents aromas of earthy peat, toasted oak and a bit of smoke.  The taste is a lovely blast of ripe black fruit up front, with some blackberry and plum that transitions nicely to some dusty earthy notes midpalate along with some hints of caramel and cassis.  The finish is divine, as the young tannins provide a vibrant foundation to the long, luxurious and very dry finish.  This wine is still young but marvelous, and I'm sure it will develop exceedingly well in the coming decade.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just a fabulous example of the varietal that's sure to improve with a little time in the cellar.  Tonight I am enjoying this with a classic Cabernet dinner of a rare grilled Angus New York Strip with grilled asparagus and oven roasted potatoes and shallots.  This is the sort of wine that could stand up to the biggest of steaks, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment