Friday, April 29, 2016

2011 Helix Sangiovese

Happy Friday!  I just got back from the gym and now I'm ready for wine!  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle from a recent wine club shipment from Reininger, the 2011 Helix Sangiovese, a pure blend of Sangiovese from the Stillwater Creek Vineyard in the Columbia Valley (quite a ways to the north and west of Walla Walla).  So let's see how this wine stacks up!


The wine has a classic reddish-purple coloration of a nice Sangiovese.  The nose presents aromas of sour cherry, pomegranate, tobacco and a bit of smoke.  The taste is vibrant, with a good bit of cherry cola and pepper up front that transitions into some tart cherry and earthy notes midpalate.  The tannins are exceptionally well integrated into the smooth, voluptuous dry finish.  This is not your standard Sangiovese, as it just appears to be a bit more influenced by the terroir of the vineyard.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as I think it's a terrific effort on the varietal and represents the heritage well.  I think this wine would be ideal with a broad variety of Italian dishes, but tonight I am enjoying it with some porcini mushroom and truffle triang0li from Trader Joe's, served with some creamy pesto (could anything be better with Sangiovese than basil?  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment