Saturday, April 16, 2016

2008 Seven Hills Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

What a day!  It was gorgeous weather and I spend the afternoon in Grand Rapids where I visited one of my favorite wine merchants. G.B. Russo & Sons for a tasting and to buy some wine.  I happened upon some Walla Walla treasure there in the form of a bottle of 2012 Leonetti Cabernet Sauvignon, but since that will need a few years to mature, I decided to open another Cabernet favorite this evening when I got home, the 2008 Seven Hills Cabernet Sauvignon from the Seven Hills Vineyard in Walla Walla.  This one has been in my cellar for five or six years, so let's see if it was worth the wait!


The wine is a beautiful deep ruby color in the glass, with an inky black toward the center.  The nose presents delightful aromas of blackberry, cherry, prune and lovely spice notes of black pepper and a hint of leather and lilac.  This nose would fit perfectly on a high-end left bank Bordeaux (Margaux anyone?) even though it's 100% Cabernet.  The taste it just spectacular,with a bit of cherry cola up front that transitions to some lovely minerality of dusty limestone and basalt midpalate.  The finish is velvety smooth and exceptionally dry with just a hint of funk at the end.  I can't even describe how lovely and smooth this wine is, it's like sipping the gorgeous afternoon we had here today!

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9.5, and you know how seldom I rate any wines at 9 or above!  This wine is perfect for grilled steaks, rich French dishes from Provence, hard cheeses or just sipping!  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a grass fed Filet Mignon grilled rare with a baked potato and haricots verts almondine.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment