Wednesday, February 10, 2016

2012 Oberon Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Hump Day!  It's been a long, cold, snowy day here.  I got home from work, finished shoveling snow, then went to drop off dry cleaning and go to the gym.  Now I am certainly ready for a nice glass of wine as I make dinner.  Tonight I've opened a bottle of 2012 Oberon Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa County that I picked up at my local supermarket a couple weeks ago. I've been on a bit of a Napa kick lately, so let's see how this one is!


The wine is a bright ruby color in the glass with nice clarity.  The nose presents aromas of leather, limestone and a hint of blackberry and violet.  The taste is presents some floral notes up front before the ripe black fruit kicks in, blackberry and plum, which transition to some notes of black pepper spice midpalate.  The finish is somewhat subdued, with mellow tannins leading to a smooth, dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's a nice Cabernet, but nothing that causes me to get too excited, though this was also a decent value at just $24.  I'm also not a big fan of the artificial cork, but that's just a personal preference.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a classic pairing, a black pepper bacon wrapped Angus filet mignon, baked potato and grilled asparagus.  This is a very nice steak wine, I will say that!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment