Friday, February 26, 2016

2012 Forgeron Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Friday!  This weekend couldn't come fast enough in my opinion, I've been battling a cold all week, then on Wednesday we had a foot of snow which is all supposed to melt this weekend.  So man I need a break and a nice glass of wine or three!  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of a recent wine club selection from Forgeron Cellars in Walla Walla, the 2012 Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon!  This wine happens to be a blend of mostly Cabernet Sauvignon (90%) and a but of Petit Verdot (10%) added for good measure.


The wine is a lovely bright ruby in the glass with nice clarity.  The nose presents aromas of black raspberry, cherry cola and leather, which tells me this is going to be good!  The taste is very fruit forward with ripe berries and plum that transitions to some wonderful herb and mineral notes midpalate, with some notes of tarragon and mint intermingled with some dusty granite.  The finish is a delight, with some white pepper spice accenting the firm tannins, providing for a long, smooth and exceptionally dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, after being on a Napa kick, I'd forgotten how lovely a nice Columbia Valley Cabernet can be!  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a classic Friday night pairing of a rare grilled Angus New York strip along with some grilled gold beets and steamed asparagus.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment