Tuesday, February 16, 2016

2012 Black Stallion Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Well, lately I must admit I've been on a bit of a Napa Valley kick, enjoying a number of wonderful wines from the superb 2012 and 2013 vintages as I enjoy fond memories of my visit to the region last fall.  And tonight the trend continues as I've decided to open up a bottle of 2012 Black Stallion Cabernet Sauvignon, a nice wine from a boutique producer located in the Oak Knoll district along the Silverado Trail.


The wine is a lovely deep, inky purple color in the glass with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose provides lovely aromas of black cherry, cassis and leather with some mild hints of cocoa powder and baking spice.  The taste is very nice, with a blast of jammy fruit up front, blackberry, cherry and cassis that transitions nicely to mineral notes midpalate.  The tannins are rounded and supple, providing for a long, smooth and very dry finish.  All in all, a classic Napa Cabernet!

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, it's a very nice wine and it was a good value as I found this at my local market for about $23.  As for pairings, this would be ideal with a variety of grilled meats, hearty stews or roasts, but tonight I am enjoying this wine with a simple rare grilled New York strip, roasted potatoes and steamed broccoli with red peppers.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment