Sunday, January 17, 2016

2010 Hacienda Lopez de Haro Rioja

It's Sunday, time for the best dinner of the week, since you have all afternoon to contemplate and prepare your meal.  Tonight I've decided on something that will warm me up since it's bitter cold out today, the temperature started this morning in the teens and now it's only 7!  So with the warmth of my Sunday dinner, I've decided to open a bottle of 2010 Hacienda Lopez de Haro Rioja, which I bought about a month ago at Costco.


The wine is a lighter ruby color in the glass with nice clarity.  The nose exhibits some lovely fruit and floral notes with some lovely white pepper spice.  The taste is quite nice, with some subdued fruit up front, ripe plum and cassis, that transitions nicely to some dried herb and spice notes midpalate.  The finish is pleasant though a bit short, with a reprise of jammy fruit amid the smooth dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, it's nothing spectacular, even though it was a phenomenal bargain at just $5!  I regret only buying a single bottle, I should have bough a case!  And to warm up this evening, I am pairing this with some ghost pepper curry with chicken and vegetables served over steamed basmati rice.  It's so hard to pair a red wine with ghost peppers, but this one does well, with some subdued earthy flavors that actually complement the spice.  Here's to warming up with hearty winter food!

No comments:

Post a Comment