Friday, January 1, 2016

2008 Domaine Thunevin-Calvet Cotes du Russillon-Villages

Happy New Year!  To celebrate 2016, I've decided to open a more mature bottle this evening to go with my special New Year's dinner.  Tonight I am enjoying the 2008 Domaine Thunevin-Calvet Cotes du Roussillon-Villages, a lovely blend of Grenache and Syrah from the Languedoc-Roussillon region of Southern France.  I bought this one a few months ago from Wines Till Sold Out, so let's see how I did!


The wine is a deep, inky indigo color at the center, with some brighter garnet along the edges.  The nose presents aromas of blackberry, licorice, green tea and toasted oak.  The taste is quite nice, with a rush of blackberry, cherry cola and mint at the outset that transition nicely to some mineral notes and dark chocolate midpalate.  The tannins are very smooth, providing a luxurious finish that is smooth and dry, with a pleasant reprise of mineral and spice notes.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, it's just a terrific example of the region but it would be even better with a few more years in the bottle.  As for pairing, it would be perfect with a nice Provencal menu, but tonight I am enjoying this wine with my traditional New Year's dinner of steamed Maine lobster, wild rice and broccoli.  The spice and minerality of the wine really make a nice contrast to the richness of the lobster.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment