Wednesday, December 30, 2015

2011 Maison Bleue "Le Midi" Boushey Vineyard Grenache

You know, it's been a while since I reviewed the previous vintage of this wine, so I thought it might be time to try the 2011 Maison Bleue "Le Midi" Boushey Vineyard Grenache (you can see my review of the 2010 vintage here).  I am a fan of Maison Bleue and a big fan of this Grenache, so let's see how I like this one!


The wine is a beautiful bright ruby color in the glass, with great clarity, like looking at a glass of pure gemstone.  The nose is brilliant, with aromas of leather, tart cherry, green herbs and a hint of blackberry.  The taste is just lovely, with a blast of ripe berries, blackberry, raspberry and a bit of plum that transitions effortlessly to some notes of tart cherry and smoke midpalate.  The finish is sublime, with well structured tannins supporting a long, voluptuous and very dry finish, just as you would expect as the varietal fully expresses itself.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, so yes, I am still a very big fan!  This wine would go very well with a variety of hearty winter stews, grilled meats or roasts, but I've decided to take a different path this evening.  Tonight I'm enjoying this wine with some pan seared seas scallops served over a bed of baby arugula dressed in aged white balsamic along with some wild mushroom risotto.  The wine plays such a great foil to the richness of the scallops and the earthiness of the mushrooms, it could not be a better choice tonight.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment