Sunday, October 11, 2015

2013 Castlebank "Vivian's Vineyard" Dry Creek Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

It's Sunday afternoon, and of course I didn't get nearly what I wanted to accomplish around the house done today, but at least I did laundry and prepped for dinner...it's the little things!  So since I'm already disappointed in my weekend accomplishments, why not open a bottle of wine and enjoy my evening?  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of 2013 Castlebank "Vivian's Vineyard" Dry Creek Valley Cabernet Sauvignon that I got a couple weeks ago from Wines Till Sold Out.  Now a little over a year ago I tasted the 2012 vintage (which you can see here), so let's see how the new one stacks up.


The wine is a lovely deep ruby color in the glass, with a dark indigo at the center.  The nose presents aromas of leather, blackberry and plum, with just a hint of smoke.  The taste is just what you'd expect from a nice Cabernet, blended with just enough Bordeaux varietals to take the edge off.  At first you have a rush of ripe fruit, that transitions effortlessly to some mineral notes, mocha and dark chocolate midpalate.  The tannins are refined and well integrated, providing the foundation for the long, smooth and very dry finish.

This is a very nice Cabernet that I would rate a solid 8, and it's a terrific value as well at just $14!  Tonight I am pairing this with a rare Angus porterhouse along with some oven roasted fingerling potatoes with cajun spices and some steamed broccoli.  The dark fruit and minerality of this wine make it perfect for steak.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment