Saturday, October 31, 2015

2011 Helix Columbia Valley Syrah

Happy Halloween!  It certainly was a scary day for me today, what with the intense efforts to clear my yard of endless leaves, carving a pumpkin and handing out candy to all manner of ghouls and monsters.  While I'll enjoy my evening and fall asleep early, so we can start leaf blowing again tomorrow, at least I'll enjoy a nice bottle of wine and tonight it's the 2011 Helix Columbia Valley Syrah which I recently received as part of my wine club shipment from Reininger.


The wine has a lovely deep garnet color in the glass, classic for a nice Syrah.  The nose presents aromas of raspberries, cherries, cassis and just a hint of green grass.  The taste is quite nice, a blast of ripe fruit at the outset, raspberry and black cherry that quickly subsides into some nice mineral elements of basalt and earthy peak midpalate.  The finish is quite nice, somewhat reminiscent of a great burgundy, as the fruit reprises the finish, with well integrated tannins performing a supporting role for the long, smooth and very dry finish that makes you reach for more.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's just a very nice Syrah, perfect for everyday drinking and ideal for when you're exhausted as I am tonight.  As for pairing, this would be a nice wine for a variety of hearty fall dishes, but tonight I am enjoying this one with a classic tuna casserole (after all, who wants to cook when there is so much work to do?).  Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment