Monday, September 14, 2015

2012 Maison Bleue Metis

Well, this past week or so has just been a whirlwind of activity, between my normal travel schedule and some amazingly bad luck with flight delays, I've had no time for blog posts of any sort (though rest assured, I still had time to drink some wine!).  So I'll make up for it tonight, as for my 500th  blog post, I've opened a bottle of 2012 Maison Bleue Metis, a lovely blend of Syrah (70%), Grenache (25%) and Mourvedre (5%) that I picked up on my vacation in Walla Walla.


The wine is a lovely, deep ruby color in the glass with great clarity.  The nose exhibits an intriguing combination of ripe berries, smoke and floral notes that really urges you to take a sip.  The taste is classic GSM, heavy on the S, with flavors of blackberry and pomegranate bursting forth, only to ease back into some herbs and smoky, earthy notes midpalate.  The tannins are somewhat rustic, but form a perfect foundation to under gird the long, smooth and very dry finish that leaves you wanting more.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a great example of the fine Rhone blends coming out of Walla Walla now, and since I received a wine club discount, this one was a super bargain (even though it's worth every penny of the regular price).  Although this wine will pair well with the classics, lamb, beef and wild game, tonight I'm enjoying this with a baked chicken breast topped with some prosciutto and smoked provolone along with a bit of linguine with garlic and olive oil and some steamed haricots verts.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment