Saturday, September 26, 2015

2012 Chimney Rock Stags Leap District Cabernet Sauvignon

So today as I was doing my regular grocery shopping, I decided to check out the wine section at my local Meijer to see if they had any good wines on sale, and I was in luck!  They had the 2012 Chimney Rock Stags Leap District Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon on sales for $20 off, so needless to say I stocked up!  And since I like new things, I thought it appropriate to open up my newest wine for dinner tonight!


The wine is a beautiful deep ruby color at the edges, almost an inky black at the center just as you'd expect on a high quality Cabernet.  The nose presents aromas of smoke, dried flowers, blackberries and cherries, with just the faintest hint of mint.  The taste is soft and supple at the outset, so different from so many of the big Cabernets on the market today.  Black fruit flavors of blackberry, plum and cassis transition effortlessly to some lovely mineral and spice notes midpalate.  Though young, the tannins as beautifully integrated, creating a long, lush and very dry finish that leaves you asking for more.  It strikes me that whenever someone talks about a great Napa Valley Cabernet, this is what they mean.

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 9, it's drinking beautifully right now (maybe because I'm thirsty!) but it will no doubt improve with a few years in the cellar.  Tonight I am enjoying this with an ideal Napa Cabernet dinner, a rare prime Filet Mignon that I recently received from Allen Brothers in Chicago, a baked potato with butter and sour cream and some fresh steamed broccoli I bought from my Amish farmer neighbors this morning.  Could there be anything better?

No comments:

Post a Comment