Sunday, August 2, 2015

2012 Luna Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Sunday!  I spend much of the day relaxing, even taking a nap this afternoon as the dog days of summer really wear me out sometimes.  So now that I've started preparing dinner I thought I'd open a bottle of 2012 Luna California Cabernet Sauvignon, a wine I recently purchased through an offer from Vivino, so let's see how it is!  This particular Cabernet Sauvignon (85%) is blended with Malbec (10%), Petit Sirah (2.5%) and Petite Verdot (2.5%).


The wine is a beautiful bright ruby in the glass with great clarity.  The nose presents aromas of oak, leather, blackberry and baking spice.  The taste is classic California Cabernet with some lovely fruit notes up front, blackberry and plum that transitions to some mineral notes of tobacco and dusty limestone midpalate.  The tannins are well integrated providing for a long, smooth and very dry finish.

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's drinking nicely now, but would likely improve with a few years in the cellar.  It was also a pretty good value at $18.  This wine is ideal for steak, which is a good thing since I'm grilling a rare Kansas City cut Angus New York Strip for dinner tonight, along with some grilled veggies and fresh sliced tomatoes, a perfect summer meal.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment